Saturday, April 17, 2010

why i'm going to buy myself a present

Today I ran a 10k trail race at Harbison State Park. It was in fact slightly more than 10k--it was 6.4 miles. The fact that I did not fall flat on my face is indeed an accomplishment. I was honestly preparing myself for at least one wipeout, because that trail has plenty of roots and rocks. Within the first mile I did step on a rock and twisted my ankle a bit, but no serious damage and I forged ahead. I didn't fall down or break anything! It probably would make for a much more interesting blog if I had crashed and burned, but such is life.

(The fastest woman overall actually did wipe out..she had mud all over her front at the end and yet she somehow still comes in with like a 40-minute race???? Whatever.)

AND who would've guessed--I won a prize. Well, everyone won a prize, pretty much. I got 2nd place in my age group, but considering there were only about five chicks in my age group that ain't saying much. Still, considering I was going to be happy just to finish the race period I did pretty darn good. Also, my prize is a pair of pretty sweet socks.



AND there were tons of free Fiber One bars at the end which of course made my day.


YUM

A quick note here to guys who wear running shorts with 3-inch inseams: you are disgusting. Seriously. After the race I was sitting on the grass with everyone else and this one guy in particular with giraffe legs was walking around...I could not even look up because I was too frightened by what I might see. Seriously, guys, there is nothing wrong with wearing basketball shorts when running. Nothing at all. This is, as they say a complete fail:



Anyway. The fact is, I have always been a solo runner, and though relatively consistent, I haven't been super motivated. I've done only two races, and both of them 5ks, but lately I've been pushed to doing about 6 miles at a stretch---I FINALLY joined a running group and it is the best thing ever. I run with people who push me and stretch me, and when everyone else talks about the various quadruple marathons and 60-milers they are doing this month it kinda inspires you to get your game on. So, when my running friend MK suggested I sign up for this race, I decided to get off my butt and go for it. And that is why I am going to buy myself a present.

A new kitteh, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment