Monday, April 5, 2010

there's a difference between chicken tenders and chicken breasts

Some of you may know that I'm a relatively good cook, when I actually attempt to cook something. However, apparently I missed the fact that tenders and breast are TOTALLY different.
A little background: I am sort of a freak about meat. I don't eat much of it, first of all, and part of that is health reasons but MOSTLY it's because I canNOT bear even the most miniscule speck of gristle, fat, etc etc. I get this from my dad, blame him.

Ok. I do like chicken, and I have for many months been determined to start making more chicken. Unfortunately, because the prep is such an ordeal for me, I usually don't make it. I used to gag when my mom prepped the turkey at Thanksgiving, and asked her how she could bear not to use rubber gloves; I have, however, moved past that point and can now handle raw meat with bare fingers. BUT it takes FOREVER for me to carve off every single little sliver of fat, every little rubbery tendon, etc etc, and usually half of the package of chicken ends up in the trash. But when I am using BONELESS SKINLESS chicken breast things usually turn out ok.

Well, some time ago I bought some chicken tenders at Food Lion (should have been my first clue of things to come). I thought, "Oh hey, this will save me some slicing time! Yay!"
Tonight, after a long day of sleeping through class (oops), going to my second class, running errands, applying for jobs, and doing a 5.92 mile run with the fellow runners in 5 points, I came home to make a yummy dinner.

Here's the news: chicken TENders have a TENdon that runs through the entire strip. It is DEESGUSTING. Not just your average tendon, this thing was the length and width and consistency of a rubber band. A big, white rubber band that split my tenders in half and destroyed them. I tried to pull said band out of tender and succeeded in shredding the piece of meat (hint: also don't buy meat from Food Lion; it's sketchy). I pulled away the nastiness and had about 0.0002 ounces of chicken left.
By this time I'm hungry and want to gag. I force myself to de-rubber band the rest of the strips and have a torn, ripped, nasty pile of chicken flesh.
I then proceeded to toss it on my George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine (thanks mom!) and waited for it to cook.

Note to all cooks: shreds of old chicken flesh from Food Lion don't cook well.

WB wouldn't even eat it. She does however have a nice hard little de-rubber-banded toy to bat around now.

I'm having ice cream.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! nice to know about the "TENders" sheesh, you never know when I would have been the next Food Lion Chicken Victim :( Andrea Parks

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha ew. Food LIon back in the day was a part of some meat issue so I was always scurred for buying meat from them. Actually, I don't even know where the FL is around here? Yippee skippie you gotchoself a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm, food lion mystery meat :)

    just kidding.

    ice cream for dinner FTW?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing so hard right now!!! You need a good mixer to make protein berry shakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really only need to cut off the first inch of that tendon. I don't notice the rest of the tendon after that (when I eat the meat).

    ReplyDelete