Thursday, April 8, 2010


This week in Shakespeare we had a substitute professor while our dear old Dr. R has been away (he's so, d'you know, funny, d'you know, with his little manners of speech, don't you know?)

Anyway, Dr. G, who happens to be my advisor, was the guest prof. He is awesome too. He's like a squirrel--a small, balding squirrel with earrings! Sometimes I want to pat him on the head and feed him peanuts.


However, despite his very squirrelly appearance, Dr. G is extremely smart. Much too smart for our class, actually. Even though everyone in the class is getting either a Masters or a Doctorate, we all just sit there staring like zombies. As we went over MacBeth today, I started to feel slightly bored, so I began to doodle in my notebook. There are more doodles and weird designs in my notebooks than there are notes (also my half of the many conversations between my fellow student Shannon about the obnoxious behavior of our other classmates. We two, however, are never obnoxious) So today, I drew a little doodle, and it looked like this:

I had nothing in mind when I was doodling, but when Shannon looked over and asked what it was, I wrote the first thing that came to my mind. To help you understand, Dr. G had been chatting away about the various mishaps and evil deeds of, and I quote, "MacBethLand." Sort of like Wonderland, perhaps? Like there's an entrance somewhere in this world that will drop us right in the middle of the lovely family drama of Lady M and MacBeth himself. Like we can do what the little girl did in Pan's Labyrinth, and draw a door, and there you go. Off to MacBethLand.


So..........It's a PORTAL! Duh!

I created the portal to MacBethLand. Which, of course, would be an interesting Land to enter since we never did find out what happened to Malcom and Donalbain, or Fleance, or the sneaky snarky wierd sisters.
MacBeth II, anyone?

P.S. The little note beside the portal that says "skinny-skin"--another cute little phrase of Dr. G's, who was discussing Banquo's skin of silver and blood of gold. He couldn't think of any other way to describe "normal" skin. Ah well.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you just found a subject for a paper and by the way... to answer your questions... some genius had the idea to produce little yellow books called cliff notes that you can by cheaply and get the answers that are so often neglected, that you are still expected to understand... lol So glad i am not in school... Wonder if this is where the idea of Ratatouille came from... a rat-like looking chef...

    ReplyDelete
  2. with earrings too!? I'm sad I didn't get into this class with ya'll - you guys seem to have all the fun professors this semester. I get the Chinese one who tells us the definitions of words are opposite what they are in the dictionary or our American understanding. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you were in these classes too! They are a trip. Squirrely professors ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um I LOVE this post. mostly b/c I love dr. G and I think the squirrel picture captures his essence perfectly. OR I could picture him dressed in full Renaissance garb--tights, feather in the hat, etc.

    ReplyDelete