Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I’ve flown a few international flights in my day. Just a few. Usually have a nice big ol' jet with personal tv/entertainment stations in for every seat, even in economy class.


Apparently there was a reason my flight was so cheap. Not that I’m complaining. However, when I walked into the plane, I immediately noticed something different....it was dirty, and small and just a tad bit decrepit.


Also, when I sat down, just three inches from my face, rising above the seat in front of me, was a head of bleached, white......dreadlocks. Not just any dreadlocks...real, dirty, filthy, looks like you-know-what dreadlocks. I almost lost my cookies right then and there. For the rest of the flight I had to stifle my gag reflex every time I looked up and saw the matted, filthy pieces of "hair". And when the woman's pillow fell down behind the seat and landed on my foot...just about
fuh-lipped out and had to stifle a scream of horror. GEEEEEEEEEERMS!!!!!

When the plane lifted off, I was legitimately terrified for the first time ever flying that the engine was going to drop off right then and there. It was SO LOUD in that plane....and for a while I sat there contemplating the fact that there were only four inches of plastic and metal separating me from utter, complete destruction.


Ah well. I survived. I'm here! And, on the bright side of things, the descent into Rio was one of the most spectacular sights in the world. Flying over the millions of acres of farmland, I was amazed at the colors and patterns of the crops, and the mountains that literally rippled across the landscape as far as I could see...


Alexandre, Karen and Livia met me at the airport and we headed to their house, where I ate arroz e feijao, e pure de batata...and then went to PBF where I saw a bunch of my old students..it's like I never left....
But now, I'm exhausted from not sleeping for 36 hours and ready to hit the hay...stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment